Winter Sports Season
For many of us, winter is the perfect time to crawl under a blanket in our warm house and relax. For others, the start of winter signifies the beginning of a new sports season. While the start of any sports season is filled with hope, an injury can derail your upcoming venture and inhibit you from participation. Proper treatment for an injury is important to get you back in the game, and Block Sports Chiropractic & Physical Therapy can help you do just that. We offer a multitude of services, such as physical therapy in Smithtown, NY, that you can use to help restart your sports season, even after suffering an injury. Contact our staff to find out if your injury can be treated by our services. We look forward to working with athletes during this winter sports season.
Common Winter Sports
Now that winter is upon us, a new sports season has come around. Whether they are indoors or outdoors, school-related or intramurals, sports commonly associated with this season include a few of the following:
- Ice Skating.
Common Winter Injuries
While the thrill of an upcoming season can lead to copious amounts of enthusiasm, our team at Block Sports Chiropractic & Physical Therapy know that injuries can dampen that positivity. Should you suffer a sports injury, you can come to us for physical therapy in Smithtown, NY for proper rehabilitation. Common sports injuries for this time of year include:
- Ankle Sprains: When enough stress is placed on the ligaments in your ankle that cause them to move beyond the normal range of motion, an ankle sprain occurs. You may not be able to put any weight on the affected foot as a result.
- Dislocated Shoulder: Your shoulder joint is less stable than others, meaning there is a higher risk for dislocation. Falls from skating, being slammed to the mat in wrestling, or any blunt force to the shoulder can pop it out of place, resulting in pain and limited mobility.
- Knee Injuries: There are a variety of knee injuries that you can suffer from this winter season. From ligament sprains and tears to dislocated or fractured kneecaps, these issues can cause pain and make moving around impossible.
Injury Prevention During The Winter
Unfortunately, a significant injury could potentially lead to the early conclusion of your season. Further purporting the importance of preventive methods, as these should be taken to help avoid injury. One way to avoid injury or prevent one from recurring is to undergo physical therapy in Smithtown, NY. Two other methods of combating injury may include a few of the following:
- Stretching: This is a great way to improve your flexibility and athletic performance. One reason for this is because stretching can increase the blood flow to your muscles. Increased flexibility can make your body susceptible to injury.
- Warm-Ups/Cool-Downs: Performing warm-ups to gradually rev up your cardiovascular system is very important before participating in physical activity. The warm-up period will help prepare your body for the force you will soon be exerting and help combat injury. Additionally, cooling down can be just as vital. The cool-down period allows for your heart rate to gradually return to what it was before the activity began and helps regulate blood flow.
Block Sports Chiropractic & Physical Therapy have been helping athletes recover from injuries since 1993, and this winter sports season will be no different. Our main goal is to keep you healthy and competing, and we have the treatment options to help do just that. From physical therapy in Smithtown, NY to several other services, this team has the methods to get you back to yours! So what are you waiting for? Contact us today to schedule your first appointment!