How To Prevent Athletic Injuries That Are Caused By Falling
Fall season (no pun intended) is upon us once again, bringing with it the excitement of seasonal sports such as soccer and football. While this time of year creates an exciting buzz in the sports world, it’s also important that we understand the importance of injury prevention. Unfortunately, athletic injuries are common occurrences in these sports because of the threat of falling to the ground.
Falling/tripping in sports is a common occurrence that can be caused by poor balance or by being forced to the ground, such as being tackled in football. You can help prevent yourself from being injured by falling through utilizing the following methods:
- ALWAYS stretch prior to the activity. Dynamic stretching will warm up your muscles allowing you to be more flexible. The added flexibility is key in preventing tears and hamstring pulls from transpiring. You may also see improvement in balance and coordination. We here at Block Chiropractic Sports & Wellness provide ongoing training to the sports trainers and coaches at various local high school and university teams on Long Island & Queens. Dynamic stretching is an important component of athletic conditioning so it is something we emphasize. For more imfortmation, contact us today.
- Use proper technique. Most sports involve the use of your legs, so make sure you’re using them correctly. A physical therapist like ours in Smithtown and Selden can help recommend ways to improve your technique and posture in a safe and effective manner.
- Do not work through the pain. Listen to your body! If you are feeling for instance ankle pain or knee pain when being active, you could worsen your injury and even lose your coordination. Take the proper precautions in maintaining your health.
- Strengthen your core. Much of your balance and stability stems from your core. Making an appointment with your Smithtown Physical Therapist or Selden Physical Therapist can provide you with the personalized balance training necessary to keep you on your feet throughout the game. They will also provide you with some at-home exercises that will maintain your abdominal strength.
- Use appropriate equipment. Don’t make the mistake of wearing athletic gear that is too small or too big. Get just the right size for you and wear whatever makes you feel comfortably athletic. This is especially important when picking shoes/cleats.
Keeping yourself healthy during the season should be an essential focus of every athlete. Preventing injury is just as important as personal and team success, it shouldn’t ever go unnoticed. You can’t help your teammates if you’re never on the field, and you won’t enjoy wasting away on the bench. Do what needs to be done in order to keep yourself in the game.
Sports Care in Smithtown and Selden
One of our primary focuses here at Block Chiropractic Sports & Wellness is to use our physical therapy techniques and chiropractic care to minimize the effects of training and help athletes achieve peak performance. By understanding every athletes’ needs, we can create a specialized method for helping them get the best out of themselves.
Some of the problems athletes commonly seek our help with include:
- Groin injury
- Knee problems
- Muscle injury
- Shin splints
- Shoulder pain
- Tendon injury
- Tennis elbow
We have a variety of skills and techniques to help you return from injury and achieve your peak performance. Chiropractic care and physical therapy work hand-in-hand for greater healing power.
The tools we use to help create maximized athletic ability include:
- Soft tissue therapy
- Active release therapy
- Graston technique
- Several chiropractic techniques
- Kinesio tape