Tendons are the small, fibrous connective tissue that connects muscle to bone. Peroneal tendon injuries are either acute, which occur suddenly, or chronic, which develops over some time. A combination of factors normally causes a tendon injury. The primary causes could involve overuse of the tendon, age, injury, or disease. You may be at more of a risk for tendon disorders if you are using excessive force on your tendons, using repetitive movements, or have an awkward posture.
Common Tendon Injuries:
Block Sports Chiropractic & Physical Therapy can diagnose your tendon disorder. Physical therapy in Smithtown NY can also help you heal from your injuries by using a variety of techniques. The most common injuries associated with the tendons normally include the following:
- Tendonitis – occurs when the tendon becomes inflamed, often developing in the wrist and fingers. The central signs of tendonitis are swelling, pain, and discomfort. Tendonitis is sometimes related to various diseases, such as diabetes or rheumatoid arthritis. It is normally caused by repetitive activity, an impact on the affected area, or from a serious injury.
- Tenosynovitis – inflammation of the tendon sheaths that enclose the tendons. Both tendon and sheath, usually, become inflamed simultaneously.
- Tendonosis – involves the degradation of the tissue in the tendons. Block Sports Chiropractic & Physical Therapy offers physical therapy in Smithtown NY, to make sure your tendonitis doesn’t lead to tendonosis. Symptoms of tendonosis include pain and stiffness in the affected area and, in some cases, the appearance of a tender lump.
How to Treat Tendon Injuries:
In order to get the best results for pain relief, please consider doing the following for your tendon injuries:
- Rest the painful area and avoid any activity that will make the pain worse.
- Apply ice or cold packs for ten to fifteen minutes at a time as often as twice an hour for seventy-two hours. Continue to use ice as long as it continues to help.
- Incorporate natural anti-inflammatories such as turmeric, cumin, ginger, or pineapple into your diet which can help to reduce painful inflammation, aiding in long-term recovery.
- Do gentle range-of-motion exercises and stretching while at physical therapy in Smithtown NY to prevent stiffness.
Are You Continuing to Have Problems?
If you have attempted the treatments previously mentioned, or you need guidance, come to Block Sports Chiropractic & Physical Therapy. We have been providing physical therapy in Smithtown NY since 1993. For more information, visit our website or call us at 631-543-0004 today!