Welcome to Block Sports Chiropractic and Physical Therapy
The #1 Treatment for Back Pain Smithtown
Dr. Jeffrey Block founded Block Sports Chiropractic and Physical Therapy in Smithtown in 1993. He soon opened a second location in Selden, intended for his brother Dr. Richard Block, who was getting ready to graduate from chiropractic college and join his brother in practice. Since then, Dr. Jeff has switched to the Selden office and Dr. Rick works out of our Smithtown location, which offers treatment for back pain smithtown. We work with physical therapists to offer our communities a complete healing experience.
Healing From the Inside Out
Our goal is to teach people that health comes from within, rather than from outside intervention. Staying healthy is the superior choice to seeking treatment once you’re sick. Therefore, we’re here to get you out of pain and help you prevent future problems from affecting your life.
Determining Your Specific Needs
The practitioners at both of our locations are trained in different areas and provide a range of complementary services. Our first goal is to figure out why problems exist in your body. Then, if we determine that we can help you, we’ll discuss the options you have to regain your health. Rather than just focusing on making you feel better,
we address the cause of your pain.
The patients we see are often seeking help for
- Back Pain Smithtown
- Family health
- Geriatric health
- No-fault injury
- Pain management
- Sports injury
- Weight issues
- Workers’ compensation
- And much more!
Hands-on Health Care For Back Pain Smithtown
There are different types of chiropractors, just like not all medical doctors treat you the same. At our office, we treat everyone like they’re an elite athlete that needs to operate at their greatest potential. We use hands-on health care, meaning that we use our hands to help heal you.
Our chiropractors use adjustments, soft tissue work, specialized tables, postural correction and other tools to help you. The physical therapists at the practice use hands-on manual methods, supervising your exercises and applying all modalities necessary to help you.
Our chiropractors, Dr. Jeffrey Block, Dr. Richard Block, both specialize in back pain Smithtown, and their professional team including Doctors of Physical Therapy are here to help you actively regain your health. At Block Sports Chiropractic and Physical Therapy you will discover that health comes from within, and it is the most valuable commodity we have. As Mahatma Gandhi once said, “It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.”
We help you recover from pain and injury and bring you to the highest levels of wellness through our natural, effective services:
Recent Blog Posts About Back Pain Smithtown
Best and Worst Shoes for Back Pain Smithtown
You typically expect the cause of back pain to be from injury, stressful physical exertion, or even age, but the cause of your back pain can be as simple as your footwear choice. Certain types of shoes do not offer the support your body needs and can cause or intensify pre-existing back pain. If you are seeking back pain smithtown treatment for your back pain, our professionals at Block Chiropractic Sports & Wellness offer a variety of services that can help.
Shoes to Avoid
Some of your favorite fashionable footwear may look great, but can come with unwanted effects for both men and women.
- High heels – add stress on the lower back because they throw off the body’s alignment. Occasional wearing of high heels will not cause back issues; however if worn daily for long periods of time, the strain on your back will worsen.
- Flip flops – seem like a safe choice being that they are easy to walk in, but they actually lack a great deal of support which can lead to arch pain.
- Slip-on sandals – these cause the foot to clench in order to grip the shoe because of the lack of strap support. This results in the lower back trying to compensate for the loss of support from the foot; therefore causing pain.
- High-top Sneakers – these types of sneakers limit ankle motion which creates strain on the back while trying to establish stability lost from the ankle.
Getting back pain Smithtown treatment can help alleviate the pain associated with your everyday footwear.
The Best Shoes for Your Back
The types of shoes that are the best for your body and that can relieve back pain are those that mimic the natural arch of your foot.
Choose proper footwear would entail footwear that:
- Absorbs shock when you walk
- Provides motion control
- Cushions the foot in order to prevent abnormal movement
- Provides stability and support – high heels and loose fitting shoes do not
If you are suffering from back pain, consider your choice of shoes as a possible cause. In addition to wearing the correct footwear, different chiropractic care options at Block Chiropractic Sports & Wellness can help relieve the stress put on your back from lack of support. Some services we provide that can help you lead a healthy and pain-free life include:
- Chiropractic Adjustments – this is a form of spinal manipulation used to restore the proper structure of the spine.
- Soft Tissue Therapy – using Active Release Therapy (ART), we reduce joint stress and release tightened muscles.
- Cold Laser Therapy – this technique is used with patients who endure chronic pain. Impulses of light at different wavelengths are targeted at trigger points to help repair damaged cells.
- Chiropractic Biophysics – CBP focuses on realigning the spine to improve bad posture which may be a result of wearing unsupportive footwear.
- Cox Flexion-Distraction – Cox Technic provides fast relief of back pain by improving range of motion in the joints and muscles and increases flexibility.
Make an appointment with us today at Block Chiropractic Sports & Wellness if you are in need of care for back pain Smithtown! We will help you manage your pain easily and effectively.
At-Home Exercises for Sciatica – Back Pain Smithtown
At Block Sports Chiropractic & Physical Therapy, our team never rests when it comes to offering relief for our patients. Those dealing with sciatica can attest to how debilitating this condition can be to manage on your own. While scheduling a session for back pain Smithtown treatment for treatment is always a great option, you don’t necessarily have to travel to reduce your symptoms. Our team would like to share some exercises you can perform from the comfort of your own home, that will work wonders for your condition.
Standing Hamstring Stretch
- Place one foot on an elevated surface while flexing your feet so that your toes and legs are straight.
- Keeping your leg straight, slowly bend your body towards your toe. Stop bending if you begin to feel pain.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds before returning to the starting position and repeating the stretch on the other leg.
Sitting Spinal Stretch
- Sit on the ground with your legs extended outward.
- While bending the knee, lift one foot over your leg and place it flat on the ground next to the opposite knee.
- Twist your torso in the direction of and past the bent knee.
- Perform this stretch three times while alternating directions.
Knee To Opposite Shoulder
- Stretch out your legs while keeping your back flat on the floor.
- Bend one leg and the knee with both of your hands.
- Gently pull your knee across your body in the direction of the opposite shoulder and hold for 30 seconds.
- Perform three repetitions of this stretch on each side.
Sitting Pigeon Pose
- Stretch out your legs while sitting on the floor.
- Bend one leg and place that foot on top of the opposite ankle.
- Lean your upper body forward and reach towards your thigh.
- Hold this position for at least 15 seconds before repeating it on the other side.
Benefits Of Back Pain Smithtown Treatment
If you’ve already tried these at-home stretches and aren’t seeing any results, it may be time to schedule an appointment for back pain Smithtown treatment. Our staff is well versed in treating conditions such as sciatica and can help get you back to feeling pain-free. When entrusting our team with your care, the benefits you can receive may include just a few of the following:
- Increased strength.
- Reduction of pain and inflammation.
- Improved flexibility and range of motion.
- Mitigate the risk of continuing symptoms.
Whether you have questions about more at-home exercises or want to schedule an appointment for hands-on back pain Smithtown treatment, our team will be there for you. Contact us today and inquire about our various treatment methods.
Physical Therapy and Improving Mobility
Often we just accept the usual aches and pains we experience on a regular basis instead of taking the time to really get to the root of the problem. But when aches and pains begin to affect your quality of life, for example, your ability to work a job or participate in your favorite activities, something needs to be done. If this is the case for you, physical therapy can help you to improve your mobility and get you back to a life of pain-free movement. If you have growing concerns about your potential ailment and want to improve your mobility, we suggest getting physical therapy by visiting Block Sports Chiropractic & Physical Therapy. With a staff consisting of experienced physical therapists and chiropractors, we can help correct your situation and provide the very best when it comes to personalized attention and care.
Reasons to Improve Your Mobility:
Mobility is the ability to move your body freely and with ease. Movements that cause pain can lead to severe health consequences and alter your quality of living. Being mobile is a key aspect of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. The more mobile you are, the more it can help improve your health in various ways. See below for a few examples of how increased movements can benefit you:
- Lower chances of serious health complications – Being more mobile allows you to be more physically active which helps to decrease your risk of dealing with serious health concerns such as obesity and heart disease.
- Decrease the risk of injury – Proper mobility and flexibility insures that the body is in a safe and optimal position so that your desired exercise is done properly. Inability to move freely can potentially put you at risk during your workouts.
- Increased strength – Boosted mobility makes it easier to achieve the desired body movements that allow your muscles to get stronger.
- Lower stress levels and better moods – Being able to move your body allows you to be more active and engage in activities you enjoy doing. This helps to produce endorphins in your body which helps to reduce stress and make you feel happy/comfortable.
Injuries or Conditions that Affect Mobility and Can Benefit From Physical Therapy:
A variety of injuries or medical conditions can have an effect on your mobility and lead to other health issues. Having physical therapy in Centereach NY can help heal injuries quicker and with more efficiency, and also help those dealing with illness or chronic pain. Here are some conditions in which utilizing physical therapy can help increase and improve mobility:
- Lower Back Pain.
- Muscle Pain, Sprains, and Strains.
- Multiple Sclerosis.
- Cerebral Palsy.
How Can Physical Therapy Help Your Back Pain in Smithtown?
With help from physical therapy and our team of therapists, we can help you improve your mobility and enjoy a more pain-free quality of life. Our facilities include state-of-the-art equipment and each time you are here your physical therapist will be with you through every session as you work together to create the most effective and individualized program to help you get to where you want to be. With the assistance of physical therapy in Smithtown, we can help you improve your mobility and get you to live a more comfortable and active lifestyle. Contact us today for more information on how we can help you.
Can Swimming Aggravate Back Pain?
Swimming is often a favorite activity among many athletes and outdoor aficionados over the summer months. Since most of your body is submerged in water, this form of exercise is less taxing on your body but it is still a great way to burn calories and stay in shape. However, just like with any physical activity, injuries can still take place while you’re swimming. If you’re wondering if swimming can aggravate your back pain, the answer is yes. Fortunately, our team at Block Sports Chiropractic and Physical Therapy can help treat several back-related complications. We’ll provide patients with the sessions of Chiropractic care for back pain in Smithtown, that they need to get back into the pool without any issue.
How Does Swimming Cause Pain?
As previously stated, swimming can be less harmful to your body than other exercises due to the lack of shock and impact that it causes. However, that doesn’t mean swimming comes without risk. Whether you are someone who suffers from chronic back pain or never faced it at all, swimming can negatively affect your spine’s health. Below are two examples of how this exercise may lead to the development of back pain:
- Your back can become hyper-extended during front strokes.
- The upper spine is constantly jerked forward when coming up for breaths during front strokes.
Preventing Back Pain
Although sometimes pain is unavoidable, you can take steps to work towards preventing back pain when going for a swim. These play an essential role in avoiding scheduling sessions of Chiropractic care for back pain in Smithtown. To steer clear of spending the summer rehabbing an injury, we recommended the below prevention methods:
- Always use proper form when performing front strokes.
- Make sure to stretch and warm-up if you plan on doing vigorous swimming.
- Wear goggles to reduce improper head movements.
- Use floating devices to assist with your swimming form.
- Swim using side or backstrokes when possible.
Treating Your Back Pain In Smithtown
Our team at Block Sports Chiropractic & Physical Therapy knows that even after being cautious while swimming, injuries can still arise. When this happens, you’ll need to schedule physical therapy sessions in Commack, NY, to help correct the issue. Through the use of therapeutic stretches and strengthening exercises, our team will work to eliminate your back pain as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Contact Us To Relieve Back Pain Smithtown
Summer should be a time spent enjoying the outdoors, not living with back pain. If swimming is one of your favorite activities, be sure you’re doing what you can to remain safe. However, if an issue ever develops, contact our team at Block Sports Chiropractic and Physical therapy to schedule an appointment for Chiropractic care for back pain in Smithtown, today!
Tips For Running After An Injury
As an active person, few things can be more infuriating than suffering an injury. If you’re a runner and this happened to you, it’s easy to be chomping at the bit to get back out on the path. However, if you don’t take precautions when you do so, you can re-aggravate or worsen your initial injury. At Block Sports Chiropractic & Physical Therapy, we don’t want to see this happen to you. To keep you healthy, we’d like to offer some beneficial running tips for after an injury.
Ease Back In
After taking some time off to heal, you can’t expect your body to back to full strength the second you’re cleared to start running again. Pushing your body too hard too fast is a sure-fire way to cause more harm. To avoid this, our team recommends you ease back into your running habits. Before you begin to run again, make sure you can walk for at least 45 minutes without experiencing pain from the previous injury. Once you can do this, you can begin to work up to a light jog.
Build Your Strength
As a runner, you may assume that cardio training is the best to get back to running. However, increasing the amount of strength training you do can mitigate the chances of becoming re-injured once you begin running again. Examples of some great strengthening exercises include:
- Russian twists.
- Back extensions.
- Jump Squats.
Get New Gear
Those who do not replace their running shoes often enough increase their chances of becoming injured. It may have even been the reason you became injured in the first place. Experts recommend that running shoes should be replaced after they’ve been used to run 300 to 500 hundred miles. If you’ve shown loyalty to the same pair of shoes for a long time, consider replacing them before you start running again. Your new pair should:
- Offer ankle and arch support.
- Fit snuggly, but not tight enough to cut off circulation.
- Have an uncramped toe box.
At Block Sports Chiropractic & Physical Therapy, our team is in the business of keeping people healthy and active. If you’re looking to make a return to running after being injured, it’s essential to have a plan in place that will keep you protected. For more tips on how to stay healthy after a running injury, contact us today!
With millions of New Yorkers under stay at home orders for the foreseeable future, heading to the gym for a workout is no longer a feasible option. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to stay in shape without needing expensive equipment or to leave your home. At Block Sports Chiropractic & Physical Therapy, we understand the benefits of sticking to a fitness regimen during stressful times such as these. That is why we’d like to give you multiple ideas of some at-home workouts you can take part in. Continue reading to learn more!
Many people turn to expensive machines and free weights when trying to increase their strength and muscle tone. While so people still have access to these during quarantine, don’t worry if you’re not one of them! Performing bodyweight exercises is the perfect alternative. To keep your muscles stimulated, try sticking to a routine of the below:
Yoga is a valuable way to help stay in shape without needing to leave the house. It involves performing a series of stretches and poses aimed to create balance within the body. You can either subscribe to online classes or find a free beginner’s class on the web. Choosing to do this form of workout can have you reaping benefits such as:
- Increasing strength and flexibility.
- Reducing stress and anxiety.
- Improving respiration and energy.
- Maintaining a balanced metabolism.
One final at-home workout to consider is high-intensity interval training. This workout consists of short bursts of intense exercise followed by periods of lower-intensity exercise. Depending on the types of exercises you work into your intervals, high-intensity interval training offers a great mix of both strength and cardio training. The nature of this type of exercise also makes it very time efficient, meaning you can get a vigorous workout in even if you’re short on time. Our team at Block Sports Chiropractic & Physical Therapy would be happy to answer any questions regarding effective high-intensity interval training, so don’t hesitate to give us a call.
During these unprecedented times, its everyone’s responsibility to do their part by staying home to help flatten the curve. However, that doesn’t have to mean that your workouts need to come to a halt. Exercising at home is a great way to stay healthy and get your mind off these stressful times, which is why we highly recommend doing so. For more information about creating the perfect at-home workout plan, contact us today.
Contact Block Sports Chiropractic and Physical Therapy
for a Back Pain Smithtown Treatment
301 Maple Ave.
Smithtown, NY 11787
T: (631) 543-0004