Our Spinal Decompression Chiropractors in Smithtown Welcomes You!
Optimize your health and recovery at our two convenient locations!
Smithtown chiropractors Dr. Jeffrey Block, Dr. Richard Block and their professional team including Doctors of Physical Therapy are here to help you actively regain your health. At Block Sports Chiropractic and Physical Therapy you will discover that health comes from within, and it is the most valuable commodity we have. As Mahatma Gandhi once said, “It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.”
We help you recover from pain and injury and bring you to the highest levels of wellness through our natural, effective services:
Get Back in the Game
Our team specializes in caring for athletes and serves as the team chiropractors at Stony Brook University, LIU Post, Queens College and for the New York Cosmos soccer team. Whether you’re a young athlete participating in a sport at school or are a professional, we can help you return from injury or achieve your best performance yet.
Experience Better Function and Health
We’ve treated tens of thousands of patients of all ages in various stages of health. Over our many years of experience, we’ve gained a deep understanding of the impact the spine and nervous system have not only on the function of the body but the quality and longevity of your life. By addressing these important systems, you’ll get back the active life you seek to enjoy.
Revitalize your life by scheduling a comprehensive first visit and let us determine how we may be able to help you. Convenient Saturday appointments are available!
Block Sports Chiropractic and Physical Therapy
Spinal Decompression Therapy in Smithown
(631) 543-0004 | (631) 696-4371
Dr. Jeffrey Block founded Block Sports Chiropractic and Physical Therapy in Smithtown in 1993. He soon opened a second location in Selden, intended for his brother Dr. Richard Block, who was getting ready to graduate from chiropractic college and join his brother in practice. Since then, Dr. Jeff has switched to the Selden office and Dr. Rick works out of our Smithtown location. We work with physical therapists to offer our communities a complete healing experience.
Healing From the Inside Out
Our goal is to teach people that health comes from within, rather than from outside intervention. Staying healthy is the superior choice to seeking treatment once you’re sick. Therefore, we’re here to get you out of pain and help you prevent future problems from affecting your life.
Determining Your Specific Needs
The practitioners at both of our locations are trained in different areas and provide a range of complementary services. Our first goal is to figure out why problems exist in your body. Then, if we determine that we can help you, we’ll discuss the options you have to regain your health. Rather than just focusing on making you feel better,
we address the cause of your pain.
The patients we see are often seeking help for
- Family health
- Geriatric health
- No-fault injury
- Pain management
- Sports injury
- Weight issues
- Workers’ compensation
- And much more!
Spinal Decompression Therapy in Smithtown
Spinal compression is caused when there is pressure put on the spine. Your spinal cord has a bundle of nerves that send signals from your brain to muscles. Your spinal cord is protected by your vertebrae. Some of the symptoms of spinal compressions are:
- Stiffness or pain in the back or neck
- Numbness or weakness in the legs, hands, and arms
- Severe pain and weakness in the legs
- Loss of bowel and bladder control
- Severe numbness in the back of the legs and inner thighs
- Severe cases of spinal compression can affect motor skills and coordination.
Some causes of spinal compression can be sudden or develop over time. Some of these causes can be:
- Degenerative diseases, such as arthritis, can cause pressure on your spine
- A ruptured disk might lead to spinal cord compression
- Injury to the spinal cord or the area around the cord can cause swelling, which can cause pressure
- Bleeding disorders, in addition to chiropractic manipulations, can cause large clots compressing the spinal cord.
- Bone spurs can cause a tapering of the spinal canal which can cause compression of the spinal cord.
- Cancerous and noncancerous tumors can develop near the spinal cord, causing pressure on the spinal cord.
People who have had injuries or developed conditions that may lead to spinal cord compression. Use of poor lifting form, people who suffer from osteoarthritis may be at risk of having spinal cord compression.
How is spinal cord compression diagnosed?
Doctors can use medical history and exams, also x-ray, ct scans, or MRI tests. Both CT and MRI offer detailed scans of your spine.
How to treat spinal cord compression?
The treatment depends on the initial cause and how extreme the condition is. Your doctor, in addition to stopping physical activity, can also suggest:
- Anti-inflammatory medication can ease the swelling and help with the pain.
- Epidural steroid injection directly into the spine
- Physical therapy can help with spinal compression. Exercises that focus on legs and abs can help alleviate the symptoms.
- Ice and heat packs with over-the-counter medication for pain can help.
- Alternative treatments like acupuncture or acupressure, chiropractic manipulation should not be used as a form of treatment for spinal compression.
- A doctor can prescribe radiation or chemotherapy to shrink the tumor on your spine.
- Electrical stimulation
- Osteopectomy removal
How Block Sports Chiropractic & Physical Therapy can help
Suffering from spinal compression can make it hard to live a full life. Block Sports Chiropractic & Physical Therapy we offer spinal decompression therapy in Smithtown Long Island.
Our staff is fully experienced at treating the effects of spinal compression. We don’t just help you fix the problem when it is present. We also show ways you can prevent the problem from happening in the future. To book an appointment or to learn more, visit our website.