Back Pain in Centereach NY
The health of your spine is our team’s top priority at Block Chiropractic & Sports Physical Therapy. Your spine health is essential because it harmonizes with your overall health and wellness. Every cell in your body is run
by your central nervous system, and if your spine is working properly with it, then, unfortunately, a lot of issues can occur. If you experience issues with your back or spine seeing the best chiropractor on Long Island may be beneficial for you. If you are experiencing back pain in Centereach NY you should contact us at Block Sports Chiropractic and Physical Therapy. We can help relieve your back pain and teach you ways you can prevent it from reoccurring. The importance of spine health is significant. Here’s what you should do to help keep your spine healthy:
- Receive adjustments regularly: They will help to improve spinal motion and improve your body’s physical function as a whole.
- Exercise & stretch daily: Strengthening your core muscles and doing stretches to warm your body up before any exercise is key. Aerobics, extension stretches, and flexion stretches are recommended.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Being overweight can put your back at risk for problems placing added stress on the muscles, ligaments, and tendons in your back.
- Get a good night’s sleep with the appropriate form: Another huge issue with back pain is the way people sleep. Laying on your back while sleeping puts approximately 50 pounds of weight on your back. The American Chiropractic Association recommends sleeping on your side or using pillows to elevate your knees to avoid more pain from occurring.
- Watch your posture: Your posture has a lot to do with your spine health. Look at the way you are sitting and standing. Are your knees slightly bent and are your shoulders back? Is your head leveled correctly? If your posture is good, your vertebrae will be correctly aligned.
- Maintain good form when lifting: Knowing the right lifting techniques is vital to prevent damage to your spine. Use your legs and knees rather than your back. If the object is heavy, don’t be afraid to ask for help.
If you have excruciating back pain in Centereach NY and feel as if you aren’t doing enough to keep your spine healthy, seeing our team of experienced chiropractors may be the right choice! Contact us today at Block Chiropractic & Sports Physical Therapy to experience how we can help you with your pain and get you on the right track towards optimal health. Come see the best chiropractor on Long Island today and see how we can help get you moving again!
At-Home Exercises For Sciatica
At Block Sports Chiropractic & Physical Therapy, our team never rests when it comes to offering relief for our patients. Those dealing with sciatica can attest to how debilitating this condition can be to manage on your own. While scheduling a session for physical therapy for treatment is always a great option, you don’t necessarily have to travel to reduce your symptoms. If you are experiencing lower back pain in Centerach NY we can help you find relief. Our team would like to share some exercises you can perform from the comfort of your own home, that will work wonders for your condition.
Standing Hamstring Stretch
- Place one foot on an elevated surface while flexing your feet so that your toes and legs are straight.
- Keeping your leg straight, slowly bend your body towards your toe. Stop bending if you begin to feel pain.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds before returning to the starting position and repeating the stretch on the other leg.
Sitting Spinal Stretch
- Sit on the ground with your legs extended outward.
- While bending the knee, lift one foot over your leg and place it flat on the ground next to the opposite knee.
- Twist your torso in the direction of and past the bent knee.
- Perform this stretch three times while alternating directions.
Knee To Opposite Shoulder
- Stretch out your legs while keeping your back flat on the floor.
- Bend one leg and the knee with both of your hands.
- Gently pull your knee across your body in the direction of the opposite shoulder and hold for 30 seconds.
- Perform three repetitions of this stretch on each side.
Sitting Pigeon Pose
- Stretch out your legs while sitting on the floor.
- Bend one leg and place that foot on top of the opposite ankle.
- Lean your upper body forward and reach towards your thigh.
- Hold this position for at least 15 seconds before repeating it on the other side.
Benefits Of Physical Therapy
If you’ve already tried these at-home stretches and aren’t seeing any results, it may be time to schedule an appointment for physical therapy in Farmingville. Our staff is well versed in treating conditions such as sciatica and can help get you back to feeling pain-free. When entrusting our team with your care, the benefits you can receive may include just a few of the following:
- Increased strength.
- Reduction of pain and inflammation.
- Improved flexibility and range of motion.
- Mitigate the risk of continuing symptoms.
Back Pain Centereach NY
Whether you have questions about more at-home exercises or want to schedule an appointment for hands-on physical therapy our team will be there for you. Contact us today and inquire about our various treatment methods.
Can Swimming Aggravate Back Pain?
Swimming is often a favorite activity among many over the summer months. Since a majority of your body is submerged in water, this form of exercise is less taxing on your body but is still a great way to burn calories and stay in shape. However, just like with any physical activity, injuries can still take place while you’re swimming. If you’re wondering if swimming can aggravate your back pain, the answer is yes. Fortunately, our team at Block Sports Chiropractic and Physical Therapy can help with this. We’ll provide patients with the sessions of physical therapy in Centereach, NY, they need to get back into the pool without issue. If you want to receive treatment for back pain in Centereach NY than contact our office today!
How Does Swimming Cause Pain
As previously stated, swimming can be less harmful to your body than other exercises due to the lack of shock and impact it causes. However, that doesn’t mean swimming comes without risk. Whether you are someone who suffers from chronic back pain, or you’ve never faced it at all, swimming can negatively affect the health of your spine. Below are two examples of how it may lead to the development of back pain:
- Your back can become hyper-extended during front strokes.
- The upper spine is constantly jerked forward when coming up for breaths during front strokes.
Preventing Back Pain
Although sometimes pain is unavoidable, there are steps you can take to work towards preventing back pain when going for a swim. These play an important role in avoiding the need for scheduling sessions of physical therapy in Centereach, NY. To steer clear of spending the summer rehabbing an injury, we recommended the below prevention methods:
- Always use proper form when performing front strokes.
- Make sure to stretch and warm-up if you plan on doing vigorous swimming.
- Wear goggles to reduce improper head movements.
- Use floating devices to assist with your swimming form.
- Swim using side or backstrokes when possible.
Back Pain Centereach NY
Our team at Block Sports Chiropractic and Physical Therapy knows that even after being cautious when swimming, injuries can still arise. When this happens, you’ll need to schedule sessions of physical therapy in Centereach, NY, to correct the issue. Through the use of therapeutic stretches and strengthening exercises, our team will work to eliminate your back pain as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Summer should be a time spent enjoying the outdoors, not living with back pain. If swimming is one of your favorite activities, be sure you’re doing what you can to remain safe. However, if an issue ever develops, be sure to contact our team at Block Sports Chiropractic and Physical therapy to schedule an appointment for physical therapy in Centereach, NY, today!
What Does a Chiropractor Do?
Whether you’re suffering from back pain, neck pain, muscle or tendon issues, or a variety of other conditions, a chiropractor can help. But what is it exactly that a chiropractor does and how are they different from other doctors?
A chiropractor is defined as a medical professional who specializes in the treatment of neuromuscular disorders. They specifically focus on manual adjustment techniques to manipulate the spine as a form of treatment. Known as spinal manipulation or chiropractic adjustment, this therapeutic procedure is designed to restore joint mobility and properly align the musculoskeletal structure, allowing the body to heal itself. As a chiropractor, it is important to stress the importance of the relationship between the spine and your nervous system. Thus spinal manipulation can not only restore the structural integrity of the spine, but also improve the function of the nervous system, and one’s overall health.
Block Sports Chiropractic & Physical Therapy, a Chiropractor for back pain in Centereach NY, uses a variety of chiropractic adjustment techniques to address one’s concerns. Active release therapy is a type of soft tissue therapy designed to reduce joint stress and relieve tight muscles. Cox Flexion Distraction technique is a gentle adjustment procedure aimed at aiding the natural healing of the spine. The Graston technique uses stainless steel hand instruments to reduce scar tissue and increase range of motion.
Block Sports Chiropractic & Physical Therapy also offers other forms of treatment to address a variety of medical conditions. Cold laser therapy is used to treat chronic conditions such as arthritis, tennis elbow, and carpal tunnel syndrome. Electric muscle stimulation is a form of treatment that stimulates specific muscles with electronic pulses. This provides pain relief, reduces inflammation and lessens muscle spasms. If you’re looking for the Chiropractor in Centereach NY to address your medical concerns, contact Block Sports Chiropractic and Physical Therapy today.
How Can The Chiropractor in Centereach NY Help?
A chiropractor can treat a variety of issues, especially related to the back. An example of some lower back conditions treated by a chiropractor include:
- Herniated disc
- Chronic lower back pain
- Pinched nerves (radiculopathy)
- Muscle strain
- Muscle spasm
A chiropractor can also treat a variety of other medical conditions not directly related to the back. For example, fibromyalgia, neck pain, headaches, migraines, weak immune systems, and carpal tunnel syndrome are all some of the many conditions a chiropractor can treat.
If you are suffering from back pain, any of the conditions listed above, or believe you can benefit from seeing a chiropractor, and you are looking for the Chiropractor for back pain in Centereach NY, contact Block Sports Chiropractic & Physical Therapy today.