Keeping Healthy During the Holiday Season
At Block Chiropractic & Sports Physical Therapy, we value the importance of keeping healthy, especially during the holiday season! It is a largely vulnerable time because the cold may limit an active lifestyle and overeating tends to occur more frequently. Here are a few tips that will help ensure that you keep a healthy lifestyle throughout the holiday season:
- Wash your hands, often – Preventing the spread of germs goes a long way. You can avoid contracting the flu, respiratory viruses, or pneumonia, which usually takes weeks to recover and can leave patients indoors and inactive during that time.
- Manage stress – This includes limiting physical and mental stress on the body. Use proper shoveling techniques to limit the toll shoveling can put on your back, and take time for yourself to decompress from the hectic schedule of the holiday season.
- Pace yourself – During the holidays, eating a lot of indulgent food is usually a given, so it’s important to try and balance it out in moderation. If dinner is going to consist of heavy appetizers, drinks, and dinners, make sure to eat a light breakfast and or lunch.
- Take time to meal prep – Before the festivities, prep a lot of healthy freezable meals that way when you’re tired of indulgent holiday dishes, you can reach for the healthy alternative in your freezer and heat it up.
- Plan non-food activities – It’s common to get into the habit of allotting all the time you spend with others during this holiday season around food and eating. So, try to plan out activities in advance, so you are not continually overindulging.
- Stay active – Great ways to stay active this season include going to the gym, hiking, or participating in indoor sports such as soccer or basketball. Always stay hydrated with water and wear layers when exercising outside.
These tips and tricks can help you manage your healthy lifestyle even throughout the tempting holiday season. Contact us today if you need any more information on keeping healthy during the holiday season, our team is here to help!